On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 11:04 AM Bob Bridges <robhbrid...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been working from home for the past ten years or so, and haven't
> found it boring yet.  But that's just me.

I get bored because I'm alone, and am used to the chatter. And, right now,
not much is going on, so I'm mainly idle.

> My team lead at one client told me they're all starting WFH this week.  In
> his case he has something like an hour commute, so it's a blessing for
> him.  I told him that it may very well work out to be permanent, even after
> the corona thingy is over.  At least, in my experience when someone works
> from home, it started because of some need - pregnancy, recovering from
> surgery, maybe a broken leg or something - and once the recovery period was
> over the boss said "oh, just keep on with it, this is working fine".  There
> are advantages to having people on-site, but they're often offset by the
> reduced expense of the extra cubicle - which is not just square footage and
> a few cubicle walls, but also a phone line, two or three data lines, power
> etc, and maintenance of same including evening cleanup.  I've never managed
> an office but I gather it adds up to an amount that can be surprising to a
> worker bee like me to tends not to notice his surroundings.

I don't see how I can't have a company phone line. No way I am taking
company calls on my personal cell. And the reason that I got a personal
cell in the first place is that the company took away all company supplied
cell phones. I am not going to have every <redacted> vendor marketing
monkey calling me on _MY_ phone.

The way WFH works right now here is via Remote Desktop Gateway, so I still
need a desktop at work. The LAN people, at present, are saying no "virtual
desktops", so I need an actual PC somewhere in the building. And someone to
reboot it when Windows freezes or goes walkabout. We have a VPN, but not
enough licenses (seats) for everyone. And, again, the company is NOT going
to "own" my PC by insisting on specific software, including networking
monitoring software, be installed on my personal property. One guy was
raked over the coals for having a lot of traffic to Chinese sites -- his
wife is Chinese and was using their PC. I will insist on a company supplied
& maintained PC, which I would only use for work, in this case. Which means
there needs to be someone to maintain the PC if there is a problem with it.
I won't try to fix company property.

I could well be off base, the company in the past (before the current
owner) tended to go cheap, not frugal.

--
People in sleeping bags are the soft tacos of the bear world.
Maranatha! <><