Bob,

I do not use a KVM switch.  The one I mentioned from IOGear is a "KMP" switch
only (Keyboard, Mouse, Printer -- or anything else that connects with a USB
port, including flash drives).  My Dell monitor has two HDMI input ports, two
DisplayPort input ports and one DVI input port, so I have my desktop and home
laptop connected to the monitor via separate HDMI cables and my work laptop
connected to the same monitor via DisplayPort cable.  The monitor has an
on-screen function and physical button (well, really a "button area" on the
lower-right bezel) that allows me to switch between all of the monitor inputs.

I use the IOGear "KMP" switch to move my keyboard, mouse and printer between
the machines.

Like I said, lots of cables but it all "just works".

An experience I had with a true KVM switch years ago kind of put me off that
solution, because the video switching was sometimes flakey, and my work does
not allow me the luxury of anything flakey.  Plus that was in the days od DVI
connections only for CRT monitors and separate cable types for keyboard and
mouse, and the DVI cables were really  bulky and hard to manipulate.  Plus
printers were PC "parallel port" connected, and that required its own separate
(and bulky) switch.  Much easier now to have a multi-port monitor with its own
switching capability.  Not cheap mind you, but much more reliable.

HTH

Peter