Dale,

Respectfully I disagree - CSI is not equally complicated to setup and
process in all languages.

Here's the IBM shipped z/OS java sample that sets up a call:
https://github.com/zsystems/java-samples/blob/master/CatalogSearchSample.java
CatalogSearch catSearch = new CatalogSearch(filterKey, 64000);
if (args.length == 2) {
   catSearch.setEntryTypes(args[1]);
}
int datasetCount = 0;
try {
   catSearch.addFieldName("ENTNAME");
   catSearch.addFieldName("VOLSER");
   catSearch.search();

   while (catSearch.hasNext()) {
      CatalogSearch.Entry entry = (CatalogSearch.Entry)catSearch.next();
      if (entry.isDatasetEntry()) {

This particular sample program uses the com.ibm.jzos.CatalogSearch class
(which is included with the z/OS Java SDK, which is included with z/OS).
 It does a CSI for a given filter key, then for each returned dataset entry
it looks up the Format1DSCB.   It also resolves VOLSERs that are system
symbols.   The sample code is less than 100 lines.

REXXers: please provide a REXX example that does the same thing as this
sample so we can make some fair comparisons.