Based on the doc I expected these two JCL variations to behave 100% equivalent
(assuming the program van handle any parameter length):

//STEP1  EXEC PGM=program,PARM='parameter with symbols'

And

//STEP1  EXEC PGM=program,PARM=PARMDD
//PARMDD DD *,SYMBOLS=JCLONLY
parameter with symbols
/*
But unexpected stuff happens when you add SET statements between job steps.

//           SET VRB=VALUE1
//STEP1  EXEC PGM=program,PARM='&VRB'
//*
//           SET VRB=VALUE2
//STEP2  EXEC PGM=program,PARM='&VRB'
//*
//           SET VRB=VALUE3
//STEP3  EXEC PGM=program,PARM='&VRB'

Behaves as expected. In STEP1 the program in invoked with parameter VALUE1, in
STEP2 with parameter VALUE2 and in STEP3 with parameter VALUE3.

If I change the JCL to this:

//           SET VRB=VALUE1
//STEP1  EXEC PGM=program,PARM=PARMDD
//PARMDD  DD *,SYMBOLS=JCLONLY
&VRB
/*
//*
//           SET VRB=VALUE2
//STEP2  EXEC PGM=program,PARM=PARMDD
//PARMDD  DD *,SYMBOLS=JCLONLY
&VRB
/*
//*
//           SET VRB=VALUE3
//STEP3  EXEC PGM=program,PARM=PARMDD
//PARMDD  DD *,SYMBOLS=JCLONLY
&VRB
/*

Does not behave 'logical' at all. In STEP1 the program is invoked with
parameter VALUE2, in STEP2 and STEP3 with parameter VALUE3. It seems SET
statement that follow the current EXEC statement (but before the next EXEC
statement) are processed before the PARMDD= parameter is constructed.

I can't find any documentation that specifies this behavior. Is this a bug?

Regardz,

Fred!

ATTENTION:
The information in this e-mail is confidential and only meant for the intended
recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, don't use or disclose it in
any way. Please let the sender know and delete the message immediately.