From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Peter Relson [rel...@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Monday, March 30, 2020 8:30 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: 64-bit application dump analysis [was: RE: Problems with ESTAEX
invoked in AMODE 64 . . . ]

<snip>
what are application programmers coding 64-bit programs (well, 31-bit
resident code that uses 64-bit storage areas,
to be specific) supposed to use for abend debugging?
</snip>

The answer is SYSMDUMP or TDUMP with IPCS. Plus whatever other tooling you
find that is helpful (Dave Cole's product and Fault Analyzer and maybe
others have been mentioned). Plus, apparently, education for those sites
that restrict IPCS unnecessarily.

Perhaps it was not obvious, but anyone who has dealt with 64-bit storage
in all the years of its availability would have seen that that data is not
captured in the printable dumps. For someone new to 64-bit storage, that
could be a surprise. But likely not to someone already using it. Does
anyone remember print dump? That's now a quite distant memory to me. I
suspect, but do not know for a fact, that there was some sort of statement
made many years ago about IPCS being the strategic way to view dumps
rather than the printable dumps.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design