You may be right, but in my case at least I don't think it would have made
any difference.  I was an Accounting student who took one class in computer
programming just thinking it sounded boring but I should know something
about the subject, and I was immediately hooked.  The class was in PL/C, but
I started spending all my spare time at the computer center, teaching myself
BASIC, FORTRAN and SPSS, anything that seemed halfway interesting.  I had a
student job at the computer center when the fall semester started, and
although I finished my degree in Accounting I went straight into
professional computer geekery after graduation.

My point is certainly not to object to the idea of being formally taught a
variety of languages.  I could have been saved quite a few quarters of
frustration if someone had been around to explain "does not support this
property or method" to me, when I tried to use VBA without an understanding
of what "object" means in practical terms.  But in the long run I learned
the skills I needed as I went along.  I'm sure others have done the same.

...Then again, Burlington Industries spent some days putting me through
Deltak video courses getting me thoroughly grounded in COBOL and JCL.  There
are some things I would probably never have learned without formal training.
I think I'm often more cock-sure of myself than reality warrants; must avoid
that.

---

/* This universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to
grow sharper. */