David Crayford asks:
>Isn't this all obsolete now? Linux and Windows are used everywhere and I
>doubt anybody cares about POSIX certification.

Occasionally I bump into a RFP that includes the letters "POSIX" and/or
"UNIX." In principle anybody can put anything they want in a RFP.

Scott Ford wrote:
>Wasn’t z/OS Unix System Services based on Posix ? It’s seems I heard this
>sometime ago.

MVS OpenEdition achieved POSIX compliance. z/OS is UNIX® certified. POSIX®
refers to IEEE Standard 1003.1, and colloquially it means "UNIX-like," but
that's a little dangerous. The reason is that getting the POSIX® label
requires a submission and certification, whereas it's possible to be
"UNIX-like" without certification. Linux, for example, is assuredly
"UNIX-like" even though it's neither POSIX® nor UNIX®.

http://get.posixcertified.ieee.org/

There aren't too many products that are POSIX® certified these days,
although many more were in the past. Evidently a lot of vendors haven't
bothered to renew their certificates. The current POSIX® register is
available here:

http://get.posixcertified.ieee.org/register.html

The Open Group solely handles UNIX® certification and participates in the
POSIX standardization process as one of the three "Austin Group" parties.

https://www.opengroup.org/membership/forums/platform/unix

The current UNIX® register is available here:

https://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register

There's a close technical and working relationship between POSIX and the
Single UNIX Specification(s), but The Open Group is now the sole grantor
of the UNIX® label, based on vendor submissions passing its certification
process. Historically, before the certification era, an operating system
could have been UNIX basically if AT&T (and maybe the University of
California, Berkeley, for a little while) said so. z/OS is at least
unusual, probably unique, as a UNIX operating system without some sort of
AT&T (Bell Labs) code lineage.

Timothy Sipples
I.T. Architect Executive
Digital Asset & Other Industry Solutions
IBM Z & LinuxONE
E-Mail: sipp...@sg.ibm.com