I've been using this for quite a while to upload data from Windows to z/OS, merging in one case nearly 2,000 files into the required IEBUPDTE format, making the transfer rather a lot easier. It always worked, uploading the data to a VB/259/27998 dataset, but until now, Windows filenames have always been in the old 8.3 format, where the 8 was really 8!

I've just now set up a bit more Windows code to do the same for other data, and I've run into a problem, as the filenames are still in an 8.3 format, but the name may be from 2 to 8 characters. And before you ask, the REXX exec that creates the file on Windows upper-cases filenames, strips off the extension and translates invalid characters, such as '-' & '_' into something that's valid in a PDS member name.

UPDTE still works, but for whatever reason, membernames in the resulting PDS are screwed up with what seem to be (part of) the initial RDW and in case the filename on windows was only 2 characters, the first two characters of the next record. The member data itself is correct.

I'd be grateful is anyone who knows more of assembler could have a book at this and if possible, correct it.

Thanks,

Robert
--
Robert AH Prins