Peter,
        Thanks for the help.

When I did a display of the X'8000' area above-the-bar, I was only seeing the first 8K X'2000'. I ran through the memory right after the IARST64 accessing each 8K. No abends. When I browsed the memory in IPCS, I saw the entire X'8000'. I conclude that if the memory hasn't been used, it doesn't show up unless it's the first 8K.

My think was that if I didn't see it displayed, it wasn't obtained. And that's why I thought that my call to BPX4RED failed.
        I now have a new posting on BPX4RED forthcoming in a couple of minutes.
Regards, Pierre.