On 3/26/08 5:05 PM, "Dave Wade" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The existing licenses already allow running in a virtual environment and
> don't specify what chips etc that could be. They could change future
> licenses, perhaps, but MS licenses don't work like Mainframe Licenses and it
> would be hard to exclude mainframe based emulation without excluding VM Ware.

Since z/VOS is neither emulation or paravirtualization it is conceivable
that an attorney might take exception to how the MS EULA applied to running
Windows/XP in the z/VM environment. Because Apple has been reluctant to take
a clear stance on virtualization of their products we sent their legal
department a letter asking for clarification of their position on the issue
of running OS X under z/VM and received no response.  They may still be
working their way through the letter using Wikipedia to decode some of the
acronyms.

Ultimately we don't think either company will challenge the product on the
basis of hardware platform. Here's why.

1. Its deep Green.
2. It's efficient and TCO positive
3. License sales will, in all likelihood, not go down.

> I guess they could buy VM Ware first...

If Microsoft waits until after the release of this product they maybe able
to buy VM Ware for substantially less.

Gary Dennis
Mantissa Corporation

> Dave G4UGM