From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Barton Robinson
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 10:59 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Nice idea in blog: Should we toss x86 architecture - NOT.

Ok, so reality check folks before y'all start drooling about jobs and
can think you can run 47000 windows servers under VM. In Linux we learned that running compiled code "natively" on "z", megahertz is megahertz and a CPU intensive task would always run faster on Intel than on "z" (until we got z9 and z10). And that is "native" meaning the programs were compiled to run on z, and the operating system was compiled to run
on z.

So now, under CMS, this emulates intel.  So megahertz is NOT megahertz.
With emulating an architecture, one could easily imagine losing an order of magnitude. Thus a windows server that is running at 10% peak on a 4Ghz processor would consume a z10 IFL and want more. One does need to pay significant attention to the performance characteristics before thinking about something like this seriously. Sorry.

Gary M. Dennis wrote:

Z/VOS is a CMS application. The glass-side user will only see Windows

via

RDC and know nothing of or about CMS or VM.

Gary