On Jul 25, 2008, at 8:48 AM, McKown, John wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: The IBM z/VM Operating System
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Gary M. Dennis
Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2008 9:34 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Nice idea in blog: Should we toss x86 architecture - NOT.

z/VOS is written to support the x86 instruction set and the underlying
hardware rather than a specific operating system.  For
example, FreeDos was
used as the initial debug target operating system due to source code
availability.

Gary Dennis
Mantissa Corporation

Somewhat like BOCH? I remember somebody saying that they ran Windows on
BOCH on an old P/390.

Yeah, that was me. I did indeed boot NT4 on Bochs on a P/390. Or maybe it was an H70: the fact that the Linux box was "h1.tx.sinenomine.net" makes me suspect that it was Dave Jones' (at the time) H70.

http://www.fsf.net/~adam/NT-on-390-desktop.png

I went and grabbed the latest Bochs last night. Apparently it now does x86_64 and can run Vista. It will be interesting, once Mantissa is released, to do a speed comparison of it versus Bochs, since both appear to be, essentially, x86 emulators.

I haven't been able to build it yet; it, at the very least, requires X libraries, so I need to build a dev box with the appropriate libraries. And of course it's going to be....special....to run it on, ahem, a Flex box running in 64-bit mode on 32-bit (Intel) hardware, which is what we have in-house.

Adam