Must have been a thing from OS/360, then, probably from a time before there was
Sense id and RDC. Writing the capacity of the track in R0 might have been
helpful in those days. The fact that the Write R0 CCW erases the entire track
insures that the part about updating it is incorrect.

Regards,
Richard Schuh