Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

New issue 1569 by rei...@gmail.com: ibus should not switch keyboard layout if the layout is not supported
http://code.google.com/p/ibus/issues/detail?id=1569

Please *DO NOT* ask question here! Please use
https://groups.google.com/group/ibus-user

请不要在这里提问,请使用ibus用户讨论组
https://groups.google.com/group/ibus-user
OS (Linux distributions, UNIX or ...): Gentoo
Architecture (i386, x86_64): x86_64
IBus version: 1.4.99.20121006
Input method name and version: ibus
Python version: 2.7.3-r3
dbus version: 1.6.8-r1
dbus-python version: 1.1.1-r1
gtk version (if bug is about gtk applications):
qt version (if bug is about qt applications):

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. create a custom layout /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/us2, with content:
partial default alphanumeric_keys
xkb_symbols "basic" {
    include "us(basic)"

    key <CAPS> { [ Super_L ] };
    key <END> { [ Super_R ] };
    modifier_map Mod4 { <CAPS>, <END> };

    name[Group1]= "USA";
};

2. switch to this layout: setxkbmap us2

3. active ibus with ctrl+space

the layout should remain 'us2', but ibus change it.

This is actually the WontFix Issue 1567.

But I think if ibus not support current xkb layout, JUST DON'T CHANGE IT, or it might cause some serious problem. Assume the Enter key of my keyboard is broken, I create a layout to map other key to Enter, after I upgrade ibus and run new ibus-daemon, the layout is switched, and I can not enter 'Enter' key any longer. The only thing next I can do is launch an on screen keyboard with mouse, if I have install an on screen keyboard.

If this can be fixed, then is good, or at least show some dialog or notification to tell user that the xkb layout is not supported, please do not just switch layout silently.