Here's a story from Janice's more subdued twin, Jenny:

Before I tell you what fun things I did today, let me
first acknowledge that yes, I know that taking a horse
through a very narrow, cluttered passageway overgrown
with blackberry vines is stupid, especially when said
horse is saddled already.

I am just getting used to this new barn that we moved
our horses over to, and the surrounding area offers,
shall we say, plenty of 'spook' training opportunities
for our horses. The pasture and barn that they are in
is great, but the aforementioned stupid alleyway that
I decided to use to access my horsetrailer is awful!
......NOT safe. But, it is at least twice as close as
the proper gate that a sane person would have led
their horse through to get them loaded. So; I walked
into it with my unsuspecting mare and Whammy! I was
reminded of why I love this mare. She calmly, and
relaxed-ly took sqeezing through little tiny doors,
with rattly latches that caught on the stirrups, stood
calmly still, while I removed large noisy sheet metal
trash monstersand garbage cans, and carefully picked
out her own path through an area CROWDED with old
radial arm saws and car doors, etc. on a loose lead. I
would have taken her back out to the other gate, but
once we were into the bad stuff, the alley was too
narrow to turn her around in and we were committed!

The final thing that made me happy was her walking
through the last door ( we are going through abandoned
dairy barns, here) which was overgrown ,to the point
that I couldn't fit, with heavy blackberry vines. She
went willingly forwards, and then got several thick
berry vines around one hind fetlock. She stopped with
her leg extended far behind her, and waited patiently
for me to carefully unhook her and slide the loops off
of her leg. Then, off we go, and all of this was an
area that she hadn't ever walked before. This, THIS is
why I am happy and willing to own short Haflinger
horses !!!!! They seem to have far bigger hearts than
most other honking great long-legged things that I
have owned. The other horses that were left behind in
the barn were continually whinnying, and , but she
just buckled down and totally concentrated on what I
asked her to do.

This was a good example of what NOT to do with your
horse, but By Golly! It's nice to be able to if you
HAVE to. This is a usable horse.

Then, we went off and had a great ride. I haven't been
riding this mare for about 2 months, as she had a rock
bruise that lamed her for a while. What a blast!It has
been pretty cold here, for the Northwest, Temps in the
low 20's at night, so everything was frosted over. We
went through the woods, she had to lead for the second
time on a trail, as the other rider was riding her
horse on a trail for the first time, and we were (!)
the "pickup horse". Ha. A case of the blond leading
the blind?........ :) She was a trooper, as usual.
This was the first time that she totally got the
concept that she is to go forward on the trail WITHOUT
trying to troll for grass or leaves at the same time.
Heh heh. Every time she wanted to stop and snatch a
bite, I made her speed up and trot or canter. Worked
like a charm. Suddenly, trying to eat on the trail
didn't get her a short pause to chew, while I dragged
her head around, it got her a swift kick and the
command to trot on!!!!!Why did it take me so long to
figure that out? :)

The view was incredible, and we had a ball. Looked at
cows and squirrels and birds and deer and coyotes and
dirtbikes. Very nice, and most everything was frosted
over and white, sun shining through the trees making
everything seem to clean and bright. --Even the cows,
and we all know how difficult THAT is! She walked over
ice and crunchy frozen brush for the first time, and
threatened a couple of innocent trail markers, and
generally had a good time. DD started moving off of my
weight alone, and after a couple of swift jogs up the
trail to discourage the idea that trail blazing wasn't
the same thing as trail grazing, I just gave her her
head, and went along for the ride. I love how solid
she feels at this stage, after only 8 trail rides, and
rather minimal pasture/arena time.
I guess I'll keep her. :)=)

* That road cart is almost completely refinished,
hurrah! And not only I, but my marriage survived it!!!
I swear, people that havent even driven a carriage
shouldn't think that they get to pick out their wife's
cart stain color!!! Unless they have actual taste in
such things! Sheesh. It has wheels, so he must know
more about choosing colors, huh?!

Yours, Jenny Rausch in Vancouver, Wa. where for a
change, it is sunny and her husband is stoutly
protesting his innocence in any cart-color-choosing
felony charges being brought against him. This is the
man who thinks that grey goes with everything! He
refuses to answer me when I ask him if grey goes with
orange! Well, DOES it?! How about chartreuse?? Huh?

Judy
http://icehorses.net

Reply via email to