I've been riding for 44 years now.  I think one of the things we learn over a 
period of years is that there is always something to be learned and there is 
always a trainer who is more capable than we are.

I trained a few horses for the public before I decided I didn't like working 
within the time constraints of some one else's budget.  At the very same time 
I was riding those horses, I sent one of my own out to a respected local 
trainer.  I knew my limits.

I would not hesitate to send a horse I own to a good trainer, but I would 
prefer to either do the work myself or supervise the work with my grandson 
doing 
the actual early riding.  There's a relationship that develops between the 
trainer and the horse and it's hard to be part of that relationship when 
someone 
else starts them.

I have two "new" Icelandics a three year old and a four year old.  I'm doing 
the preliminary ground work, but will probably have grandson Gabe do the 
initial riding when they're old enough.  At 16, he's been doing the beginning 
rides 
for a local trainer for a couple of years - he's quite good with youngsters.  
He has "something" that both horses and dogs really respond to.

Nancy

Reply via email to