At the American Endurance Ride Conference National Awards Banquet last  
night, Remington and I were awarded the one of the AERC's Pard'ners Award.   
This 
together with the AERC's Hall of Fame awards are the AERC's major lifetime  
awards and are always awarded at the end of the banquet.  The award is  given 
on 
an annual basis to one horse and rider team.  The award  recognizes:
 
"Pard'ners Award: Rider and horse perform together as a  mutually bonded 
team. Rider and horse engender a spirit of friendship,  enthusiasm and 
championship that makes those around them glad to have attended  the ride. 
However 
competitive they may be, good sportsmanship remains their  first priority. 
Horse and 
rider take care of each other. Together horse and  rider personify the 
prevailing and abiding goal of AERC "To Finish is to  Win."
 
We received a lovely silver plate and our names were inscribed on the  
Pard'ners Award perpetual trophy kept by the AERC.  The award followed our  
receipt 
of a separate award honoring Remington for achieving 10,000 miles of  lifetime 
competition.  He is the only Pard'ners Award horse in the history  of the 
award to have reached that mileage mark as far as I know.
 
I cannot imagine a greater honor from my fellow endurance riders nor can I  
imagine a greater showing of respect for my horse.  Don't tell the  endurance 
community what Icelandics can't do.
 
After emceeing the regional awards presentation (in a wizard's costume, the  
national awards banquet,  conducting two early morning workships on the new  
AERC drug rule I wrote with assistance from its Veterinary Committee and  
participating in three days of board meetings,  I am sitting here in the  Reno 
airport more than a little exhausted and way more than a little happy with  the 
recognition of my horse.
 
John Parke
<BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> AOL now offers free 
email to everyone.  Find out more about what's free from AOL at 
http://www.aol.com.

Reply via email to