>>>-  the pasture's closeness to wetlands or even being normally moist
itself (areas where culicoides breed),
>>>-  the general humidity (which culicoides love),
>>>-  the presence of high, damp grass (which encourages the culicoides to
travel there), and

Ironically, some of the best conditions (in many ways) for keeping horses
are also bad for SE.  I know several of us have been to Anneliese's farm.
It's paradise - I can't imagine a better home for horses.  Too bad she has
to keep the imported SE-sufferers inside for so much time during the summer.

>>>-  the length of the SE season in the country being surveyed, and

And that is the reason that I say I personally would never import an
Icelandic to NC.  As high as Anneliese's percentages have been, our NC
summers are a few days longer, and we get slightly hotter and more humid,
although overall, our climates are very similar.  I can't imagine us having
better luck than she did.

>>>>Probably the most useful data, for what fraction of horses develop SE if
put into a SE-conducive location, are those that specifically focus on
horses in such locations, like Anneliese Virro's important observations.
Over the years she almost assuredly has received a representative
cross-section of Iceys, and a very large fraction contract SE.  So a very
large percentage is prone to developing SE.  Yet, since Anneliese finds that
their US-born children virtually never get SE, it is not that they are
genetically pre-determined to get this allergy.

Barbara, I have a good friend, a vet, who coincidentally grew up just a mile
or two from Anneliese's farm.  Her family always had horses - as a child she
trail rode over what is now called Unicorn Valley. She has told me that SE
is virtually unheard of in that area in other breeds of horses.  (I won't
say that it NEVER happens, but it's certainly not common.)  She still has
contact with people in that area, as well as some vets in the area.  So, not
only does Anneliese have a "clean record" with the babies born on her farm,
the area is pretty much clear of SE - except in imported Icelandic horses.
I say this only to give more support to what Anneliese has said.

>>>   Please also note that a horse born and raised in a dry area of the US
southwest, and then brought to central Florida as an adult, has a good
chance of developing SE, too.  Just like the Iceland-born Iceys, they did
not get exposed to the culicoides' allergens when their immune systems were
being programmed with what is "self", what they will not develop antibodies
against, which includes the bugs they are regularly exposed to in the first
few months of life

But that hasn't seemed to happen, not noticeably. I know of a good many of
the Saga California born horses who moved east from California with no
problems.  Anneliese brought a few horses from California to KY, and I think
she got a few from Robyn.  I've bought several horses from California and
from BC, and they are doing fine...so far for me anyway.  My experience is
minimal though, compared to Anneliese's 25 +/- years.

Considering how few imported Icelandics are here in the mid-to-deep south,
it may be a while before we really know how serious SE is in this part of
the country.

My personal statistics, here in south-central NC: 23 Icelandics, 1 import.
23 domestics (USA and Canadian born) clear, the one import showing his first
suspicious signs late last summer.


Karen Thomas, NC




Reply via email to