>On 26/04/07, Karen Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>  >>> and also I have wondered if its not an icelandic thing but a horse thing
>>  in general or a certain type horse of any breed.  Because even ten years ago
>>  I never heard of it.  Five years ago I knew of one.  Now today every ride I
>>  go on there's one to three.
>>
>>  It's not common in other breeds - I'm confident of that.  I've known way too
>>  many other breed colts who've been fully equipped by birth, or within a week
>>  or two of birth.
>
>How widely is it known though?  I know  I heard the term "proud cut"
>many many years ago before I ever knew of Icelandics.  I'm wondering
>if proud cut is just another term for a crypt...??
>
>Wanda

Proud cut is the term for a studly gelding -- can just be a mental 
thing, or could be a sloppy job of gelding that leaves some 
testicular tissue behind (in the latter case a blood test would show 
higher than expected terstosterone levels). See: 
http://www.horsekeeping.com/horse_health_care/gelding_and_aftercare.htm

I've had a colt gelded as young as one month -- a mule produced by 
the same mare that produced one of my cryptorchids. (In fact, it is 
common for mules to be gelded very young:  you don't need the natural 
strength of a mule jet fueled by testosterone!.)  Seemed like it was 
an easier surgery and the little guy had less bleeding than colts 
gelded older.

-- 

  Lynn Kinsky, Santa Ynez, CA
  http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky/
http://www.dslextreme.com/~napha/JoyOfRiding/
http://www.dslextreme.com/~napha/HighPoint/

Reply via email to