We have a young woman in our family (married a grandson) who is a successful 
pony trainer.  She's trained and sold some Welsh ponies who have been very 
successful in some big venues.
 
She thinks that ground driving has no carryover into riding.
 
I do not agree with her, but it's an interesting theory.  I ground drive 
everything and drive a few with a cart.  Four year old Tosca had two ground 
driving sessions in the round pen before yesterday when I bravely drove her out 
the gait and down 1/2 mile of dirt road, over three bridges.  She is SO 
trainable and so willing to be trained.
 
As to which muscle groups are influenced by driving, I would think the 
hindquarters might be working when pulling a carrt.  If the horse is rounded 
when ground driving, then I suspect the muscles over the topline might be at 
work.
 
Nancy
________________________________________________________________________
AOL now offers free email to everyone.  Find out more about what's free from 
AOL at AOL.com.

Reply via email to