I wish she was gaited! LOL! She is Percheron/QH cross. She is 16.2. I swore
I'd never buy another non gaited horse... show's you what swearing gets you!
I've never in my life owned or ridden a heavy horse and I just got back from
3 hours with the man down the road who owns a carriage business. I just
knocked on his door because I knew what he did and always admire the big
drafts in his pastures when I drive by but had never met him before. We
spent 3 hours talking and he showed me all the different types of harnesses
he has from simple and light to giant fancy contraptions that spakle to the
harnesses for mini horses...it was fun talking to him...He's going to give
me lessons on one of his horses for awhile until Sally arrives and then he
said we'll figure out just what she's made of and what size stuff she needs.
He said normally driving horses are retired at about 15 from a working
environment which is why she is the age she is and I am getting her at the
price I am getting her at. He said pulling a small cart for pleasure will
not phase her at all...it's the everyday pounding the cement that is alot
for them after a certain point and human drivers will retire them at 15 (and
insurance companies apparently don't insure a driving horse before 4 or past
16)... he did say that I will have a great riding horse for years to come
especially since she won't even notice I'm on her back since I'm so light. I
can't wait to feel what it's like to ride that high and that wide and that
strong of a body. This guy is quite animated so he was telling me how their
big feet stay up in the mud so when the small horses are sinking in the
bottom of a muddy lake or trail, these horse plod along because there is
more surface area. He says they are very great trail horses but just not
usually used on the trail. He has beautiful carts that he uses for weddings
and stuff so I'm gonna get to try one of those out eventually but he's
starting me on his trail cart... explaining that he doesn't want his
10,000.00 investments to run amuck. I'm just glad he's willing to give me
some lessons. She is also a gentle soul and I've wanted a horse on the place
that I can put ANYBODY on.
Bia