On 5/14/07, pippa258 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Janice McDonald wrote:
> > Here is a couple of cool videos I took while riding this weekend with
> > my two new old friends.  One is 73 and one is 69.
> Very neat!  I hope I'm still riding when I'm in my 70's.  What tips did
> they give you?
>
> Trish
>

things I learned from them:

They said I need to practice even the simplest things BEFORE the ride,
even things as simple as dipping a sponge into the water from the
saddle because you wouldnt want to find out in the middle of a ctr
that your horse is gonna freak when you suddenly lift the dripping
sponge out of the water and swing it up toward them.

They said I need to GPS clock him BEFORE the ride because in ctr its
important not to go too fast or too slow, to pace yourself so you are
able to end during the "window" they allow.

They said to get a second watch and use it just for ctr riding.

They said Tivar was in no way good enough shape and that to get him in
shape I need to ride him at least 2 hours a day, 30 minutes of that on
and off trotting, and they gave me the formula for calculating his
resting pulse and what it should be when he is exerted.  and that if
he can't do that by the date of the ride then I shouldnt go, it will
be a waste of money cause the judges will pull him.  My friend told me
he was in shape!  They said not.  Not in shape enough.

In all these years of riding in the heat no one has ever told me two
things they said:  to reach back frequently and pet his rump and if
the top of his rump is ever wet with sweat stop immediately and get
down off him, he's in trouble and 2.  to watch his flanks and if they
are "thumping" in quick short hard breaths to get down and let him
rest immediately.

They said to take leg wraps and liniment for his legs at nite even tho
he isnt injured he will need that because his muscles will be tired
and may fill with fluid.

and other stuff!
Janice
-- 
yipie tie yie yo

Reply via email to