Here's a pretty typical World Championship "victory pose":
http://www.ihsgb.co.uk/winners.jpg


The first time I saw a posed picture over-bent like that, probably five
years ago, I asked, and was assured that it was only a "bad moment in
time" - an instant where 2-3 stallions were misbehaving and the riders
grabbed them back for a photo op.   This has been "classic" victory pose
that I've seen at every single World Championship since I've been watching
the results.    I rarely see that position posed in a victory picture even
among the highest-level competitive dressage riders who use Rollkur, like
Anky.  They may train in that controversial over-bent position that I really
don't like, but at least they usually try to drop the rein contact the
instant as the competition is over...

Anyway, that's why I felt so obligated to ask about the Icelandic showing
dressage pictures that Judy submitted recently.  Sure, that was an
individual rider, who appeared to be showing at a very low level.
There's no reason for holding the horses so tight like that, whatever the
discipline, whatever the country, no matter what the level.  I saw several
pictures of horses moving out in that overbent pose in WC pictures submitted
by others.  I don't know how to make that correlation clearly, without
risking hurting someone's feelings.  But, I think it's important to draw the
correlation, so we can draw attention to the practice at every single level.
I certainly don't mean to pick on an amateur rider, but I see a trend that
needs to be noted and stopped.

Granted, the British team looks better than most of the pack - thanks very
much - but as you commented yourself, Mic, they didn't score well at all.


Karen Thomas, NC




Reply via email to