.>
> We've been able to turn him around, but there are the times that he can
> remember the past.



jaspar is like that too.  I can see his mind working, going hmm, noooo
 I dont trust that will be ok, then anxiousness, then okkkk i will try
cause I trust you....  then just overwhelming relief.  he will lower
his head and lick and chew and look me deep in the eye with just
glowing gratitude that I did not MAKE him with a whip or something.
With Gallant Boy he was too far gone, I could never get him to that
point, he would just go in lockstep, shut down, rigid with fear but
not consider disobedience for a second.  So many people think the
model perfect horse is like gallant boy, obedience without question...
 but so many times I didnt know what to do and allowed jaspar to make
decisions and he has taken care of us so many times.  whereas a shut
down "broke" horse like Gallant Boy would go terrified over the edge
of a cliff if you asked him to.  whereas Jaspar would stop, chew a
little, ask "are you SURE about this, think it over..."  then if I
ask, yes he will obey and forgive when its a disaster.  But if I let
him "win" as others might perceive it, it doesnt make him a "spoiled
pampered disobedient" horse, it makes him a horse that is part of the
decision making process and our bond is truly incredible.  If I could
give a gift to all mankind i would give a gift of a bond like this
with a horse.  and he is a loner, an introverted horse, so when he
approaches for companionship its a very very special compliment.

Janice--
yipie tie yie yo

Reply via email to