In may I posted Safi had "mild mechanical laminitis" he got over it 
quickly, with diet, trim and rest and my vet said "I dodged the bullet" 
should be grateful it wasn't anything else.

message #97260 subject: laminitis  If you want to read the backround.

I insisted on blood work, she never got back to me with the results and 
since he was symptom free I didn't persue it.

In late August right after a trim he came up sore again, at first I 
attributed it to the trim when it lasted more than a couple days I 
found a new vet. We did xrays, luckily no rotation just "mild 
deviation" finally got the results from the original blood work his 
insulin level was off the charts! IR POSITIVE.  We also did another run 
of blood work CBC to check liver, etc...
 
I've been getting a lot of help from the IR Cushings yahoo group and 
the Founder group but wanted to give you all an update and run one more 
thing by you. When we did the CBC blood test we saw that Safi's 
BASOPHILE (white cells) are very high.  The vet suspects some kind of 
allergy and wants to put Safi on antibiotics more as an antihistamine 
than to kill infection.  I'm putting it off till we get his diet under 
control.  But... I wonder if Icelandics naturally have a higher 
Basophile count.  Anyone have any experience with it? 

Thanks,
Janine -n- Safi
Berthoud, CO 





Reply via email to