Q: What do you think of gaited horses?

Hello Julie, I am looking at buying a Tennessee Walker. I currently have a 
Quarter Horse and am finding it a challenge to post. I'm 42 years old. I 
purchased your DVD's and they were helpful, but I'm just not really 
comfortable with posting. I have heard you don't have to post with a gaited 
horse, do you think I would be happier with a gaited horse? Are their any 
negatives to the gaited horse versus my quarter horse? Any help would be 
appreciated. Regina

Dear Regina, The popularity of gaited horses has drastically increased, 
along with the age of the largest recreational riding market: the baby 
boomers, which currently range in age from late forties to mid sixties. At 
48 years old, I am at the very bottom of this generation and beginning to 
feel the normal aches and pains of growing older. Thankfully, I am also 
benefiting from the wisdom and experience that comes with the territory and 
I wouldn't trade that for a younger body (as long as there's a plentiful 
supply of Advil)!

Naturally as we age, we experience the back aches and joint pain that comes 
with the territory and the appeal of a gaited is that he is often smoother 
than a regular horse and his movements have little suspension (which occurs 
when all four of the horse's feet come off the ground at the same time, like 
in the trot and canter); that's why you don't have to post. Also, many 
people are getting into riding for the first time at this age, or coming 
back to riding after several decades or more and the gaited horse can be 
easier to ride because the gaits may be smoother.

Gaited horses come in all shapes, sizes and colors and there are a variety 
of breeds with varying abilities and temperaments. The Tennessee Walker, 
Missouri Foxtrotter and Saddlebred are perhaps the most well known gaited 
breeds, but with the increased popularity of the "novelty" breeds today, we 
have many other gaited breeds to choose from such as Peruvian Paso, Paso 
Fino, Mountain Horses (Kentucky and Rocky Mountain), Icelandics, Mangalarga 
Marchador, and others. Each breed is distinct for its size, temperament and 
purpose, so it is worthwhile investigating your various options to see what 
the best fit is for you.

There are some caveats to keep in mind when considering a gaited horse. 
First, just like regularly gaited horses, some are smooth gaited and some 
are not; it is not a guarantee that all gaited horses are smooth. I have 
ridden gaited horses that are just as rough as a regular horse and I have 
ridden regular horses that are as easy as the smoothest gaited horse. But in 
general, gaited horses will be smoother.

Also, just because a horse is bred to be gaited doesn't mean that he is 
"set" in his gaits; it does not come naturally to all gaited horses. To some 
horses it is more natural than others and some will need professional 
training to get the horse to gait steadily and correctly. Sometimes the 
horse has to be supported by the rider to maintain his gait and that 
requires a certain level of skill, knowledge and effort on the part of the 
rider. It is best to find a horse that is naturally set in his gaits and 
will maintain them without the aid of the rider or need help from a trainer.

Another problem that I have noticed with gaited horses is that it is hard to 
find mature, well-trained pleasure mounts. I have searched for gaited horses 
for my sales program, knowing that many of my clientele would prefer a 
gaited horse. However, I only deal in horses that are mature, safe and 
reliable for trail and arena, for any level of rider and gaited horses that 
fall into this category are few and far between. There are many younger 
gaited horses on the market, but I prefer horses that are more mature and 
have 'been there and done that.'

Although I enjoy riding gaited horses on occasion, my personal preference is 
for a regularly gaited horse. First I enjoy the gaits of trot and canter and 
secondly, the kinds of riding I like to do require more athleticism and 
agility than most gaited horses have. Although some individuals are capable, 
most gaited horses are not suited to disciplines requiring high performance 
such as reining, cutting, working cow, dressage or jumping.

But to each his own and if your interests lie entirely in going down the 
trail, it is hard to beat a gaited horse that is set in his gaits, 
well-trained and well-tempered. My preference would be either a Foxtrotter 
or a Mountain Horse. I like their size and temperament a lot. Also, there is 
a line of TN Walkers that have been bred in Wyoming exclusively for trail 
(no show blood lines). I have worked with a few of these horses and they are 
awesome.

Posting can be one of the most challenging things to learn in riding, but 
once you get it, posting is really easy. Remember you have to use the motion 
of the horse to push you up and out of the saddle-like you are bouncing your 
bottom on a trampoline. Once you get the movement and the rhythm, it should 
be fairly effortless.

If you are interested in gaited horses, I would recommend a clinician named 
Elizabeth Graves . She is a renowned expert on all gaited breeds and her 
approach is very holistic and humane; if you have a chance to see her at a 
clinic or an expo, you'll be glad you did. It is by no means unique to the 
gaited breeds, but there are many gaited trainers that employ harsh and 
inhumane techniques, so be careful who you deal with.

Good luck in your search and I hope you find your dream horse! JG

_____________


Judy
http://icehorses.net
http://clickryder.com

Reply via email to