Fjords are small draft horses, although they are making some dressage models 
now. They are powerful horses even though they are not really big and if not 
trained with lightness can feel like you're driving without power steering! 
Tyra is like a small SUV! She'll just plow through anything. Fjords are 
sometimes considered to be stubborn, Tyra isn't stubborn but she gets bored 
easily and once she gets something is not a fan of lots of repetition. If she 
doesn't agree with or understand something I ask of her she might kick up her 
heels or argue slightly, but she always tries again and is never cranky for 
long. When Lilja (Icelandic) doesn't think something is safe or isn't sure what 
she's supposed to do, she shuts down and goes away in her head to contemplate 
the situation.  In that mode, it is almost impossible to coerce her, but if you 
let her mull it over, she'll usually do it! I've worked with two other 
Icelandics that did that, others just seem to go with the flow.  
>>What is the difference in their personalities?  My vet says he thinks
>>of Icelandics as miniature draft horses.

>>Anna
>>Southern Ohio

Most of the Fjords I've met are really mellow and some are a bit lazy.  I know 
very few pokey Icelandics. Properly trained Icelandics will mosey along when 
you ask them to, but many also like to go. Most of the other Fjords I know and 
Tyra are very people oriented, even with strangers. Tyra is absolutely 
fearless, and loves to steal tools, undo knots, climb into and stand on things 
she shouldn't.   My Icelandic mares and most of the others I worked with really 
wanted to get to know me before fully trusting me, but once they did would do 
anything for me. While usually gentle around people they don't know, they seem 
to really want to bond to their own person. They seem to be wise souls.  Even 
my 1 1/2 year old acts fairly mature.  Riding-wise, I think of most Icelandics 
as little sport cars! 

Both breeds are easy keepers, smart, most are not very spooky. I love the looks 
of both breeds. 

Cherie
Western North Carolina 
Lilja, Roka (Icelandics)and Tyra (Fjord)


Reply via email to