>>>> Ah, that's most likely the problem, then. I find some of my mares will
stand happily for shagging (even by geldings!) even when not in season at
all - they just like it!!!!


In retrospect, I now wonder if Anneliese never saw the "false heat" before,
because in years past, she's always had a stallion (or two, or more) on her
farm.  It's been four years (I think?) since she's had one there, so maybe
the mares were more...uh, starved for attention this time around than she's
seen in the past.  Melnir was, I'm sure, a hot commodity, for those five
days!


>>> If you need a mare to be in season at a specific time it's worth using
something like Regumate to induce ovulation. We're lucky with our lot - they
get to run with the boys for 3 or 4 months usually.


I know Regumate seems to work, but you know, I also realize that it
encourages marginally fertile mares to become pregnant.  That can be a good
thing I suppose, but I also think the fertility of this breed IS higher than
with many (maybe most?) breeds.  I'd hate to see us doing anything to
inadvertently encourage the proliferation of less-fertile horses.  I know
that Melnir's fertility was good, and I know that Anneliese's mares have
shown great conception rates, so I guess Regumate wouldn't have been
out-of-line in this situation.


Karen Thomas, NC



No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.503 / Virus Database: 269.16.14/1171 - Release Date: 12/4/2007
7:31 PM




IceHorses Community for Photos and Videos:  http://kickapps.com/icehorses

"The greatest enemy of the truth very often is not the lie- deliberate, 
contrived and dishonest -- but the myth -- persistent, persuasive and 
unrealistic."

"All truth passes through three stages.
First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed.
Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." ~ Arthur Schopenhauer


[] Lee Ziegler  http://leeziegler.com
[] Liz Graves  http://lizgraves.com
[] Lee's Book  Easy Gaited Horses http://tinyurl.com/7vyjo
[] IceHorses Map  http://www.frappr.com/IceHorses
 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/IceHorses/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/IceHorses/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 

Reply via email to