On Jan 10, 2008 11:08 AM, Mic Rushen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 08:24:40 -0600, you wrote: > > >man i have lost ten pounds since last friday! > > Yay! Go Janice! It's great, this Sick Diet, isn't it? I've lost 8lb > myself,
Good for both of you. Not the sick part, the losing weight part. Sometimes it takes a little something to get yourself a jumpstart. I think so many people get overwhelmed by the whole process that it's next to impossible for them to even try. I have patients come in and tell me that their doctor wants them to only eat 2000 calories and walk for an hour a day. They can barely walk from their car to a store and 2000 calories - they don't even know where to start. How about setting more attainable goals. Leave 10% of the food on your plate. Only eat 1/2 order of french fries once a week, walk 10 mins once a day then maybe twice a day. Here's a big one that will kick start your diet. Add 10 minutes of weight bearing exercise, hand weights and arm lifts or curls. If you go to the gym and work out for an hour you'll be hungry and your body will need more energy. If you go from 4000 calories to 2000, your body will think it's starving and will slow your metabolism instead of speeding it up and burning more calories. Adding even a little muscle will burn more calories. Make small changes get used it it and make more changes, but they have to be changes you can live with. Maybe cut more at the beginning, but don't set yourself up for failure. I aimed at losing 10- 15 lbs and lost almost 30 lbs over a 12 month period and have kept it off (except the 2 lbs I gained over the holidays) for over 6 mos. -- Anna Southern Ohio
