Florida has a campaign to have a new state song.  The old one is "Old
Folks At Home" which has some overtones of rascist language since
Stephen foster wrote it at a time when he could make money selling
sheet music for "minstrel shows"  (You may not be aware the great
songwriter Stephen Foster died on the streets of Philadelphia living
in a cardboard box with 38 cents in his pocket, and now, adding insult
to injury, the state of Florida rolled him from his fame of writing
our state song)

People were asked to sign on the myflorida.com and vote for
contestants of our choice for the new state song, but there is a sort
of underground movement afoot for this guy, so if you could go to some
florida tourist destination websites and ask if this could be used to
promote tourism please do!  he is a great guy!  :

 Original Message -----
From: grant peeples
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 9:00 PM
Subject: THE new State Song of Florida


Well they held a contest for the new State Song of Florida
because.....well, I'm not sure why.   Anyhow, I wrote one and mailed
it in but I didn't win the contest.   I'm thinking maybe it got lost
in the mail.

In any event, overcoming my depression at having lost a sure shot at
immortality, I made a, um, music video out of the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDgHSVYiq4M


I'm thinking maybe the State my want to use it to promote tourism or something.

Reply via email to