The most common
> comment I heard from the judges (in the videos where I can understand what
> the judge is saying...)?  Needs more speed...not fast enough... needs more
> lift...canter not fast enough...yada, yada... Most of the horses look
> nervous and rushed to me as they are, and way too many are fighting the 
> bit
> and constantly breaking gait.

What a shame this  is.  I've been around horses for a really long time and 
have been able to observe trainers starting youngsters for the TB track, the 
quarter horse track, dressage, hunter/jumpers, working stock horses and now 
endurance.

The one common thing that I have seen is that effective trainers start their 
horses slowly.  If you have the right horse, the speed is there.  If you 
don't, then the horse needs a different job anyway.  There are way more 
homes waiting for quiet well-trained saddle horses than there are for 
bug-eyed off-track rejects.  Most of the horses Tosca babysits will be 
endurance horses.  She will not be able to keep up with them a year from 
now, but Bev wants them first to learn to be quiet, well-mannered and brave 
on trail.  Once that and a basic fitness program have been completed, the 
speed may be added.  And that does not mean next month.  Or even next year. 
They will probably have at least one, possible two seasons of going 
relatively slowly before they are allowed to race.

Nancy

Reply via email to