On Feb 17, 2008, at 9:19 AM, Judy Ryder wrote:

>
>
>> I choose a stallion who, himself, has very good conformation.
>> I put evidence of athleticism on the stallion's part as a prime
>> requirement.
>> Another prime thing is disposition ... look for stallions that throw
>> "calmness"
>
> Good list, Lynn!
>
> I would like to see that a stallion can gait without mechanical aids.  
> No
> shoes, no boots, no saddle, no bit, no pulling on the mouth, no rider
> leaning back.
>
> Do we have stallions in the breed that can do that?
>

The best way to tell is to ride the candidate stallion yourself.  The 
first mare/horse I ever bought was in foal and after I rode the mare 
the owner put me on the stallion, bareback, so that I could develop a 
sense of what the foal was likely to be like.

Now that I'm old and decrepit I'm less inclined to ride, but I do ask 
to groom the stallion, lead him around, tack him up and then ask the 
trainer to ride him and put him through the manuvers I ask for.  Most 
of the stallions I've also seen in the show ring, and there the judge 
can ask to ride any horse in the breeding/gait division in order to 
judge for himself the quality and naturalness of the gait.  Some horses 
fall apart with a new rider, others perform just the same.  Of course 
shoes and bell boots aren't an issue -- they are forbidden in the show 
ring.


Lynn Kinsky, Santa Ynez, CA
http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky/

Reply via email to