On Feb 17, 2008, at 3:39 PM, Janice McDonald wrote:

> a lot of people on here think you dont need to rotate buy hey, I'm
> with you, what could it hurt??  I worm mine every two months,
> rotating.  I even worm my chickens and other fowl.  I have to here, I
> am in a wormy part of the us...
> Janice

Rotating wormers won't get the worms that are likely to produce a huge 
glut of worms suddenly in the intestines -- namely,  the encysted small 
strongyles(http://www.power-dose.com/faq.asp).

I took a horse I was selling  over to the clinic for his pre-purchase.  
I'd wormed him with Ivermectin a few days before, but the fecal showed 
small strongyles (but no other worm species).  The vet explained that 
the encysted strongyles are constantly emerging from their cysts and 
contaminating the manure.  The older the horse the greater the load of 
encysted strongyles it is likely to have.  He recommended a Panacur 
Pwer Pack worming, which we did, and the horse quickly looked brighter, 
started gaining weight, etc.


Lynn Kinsky, Santa Ynez, CA
http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky/
http://www.dslextreme.com/~napha/JoyOfRiding/index.htm

Reply via email to