On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 12:10 PM, Nancy  Sturm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Guess why I haven't heard of
> NATRC around here.
>
May be that there may be another organization in your area.  Around
here instead of NATRC rides there is the OAATS.  They don't have the
obstacle judging, campsite judging and the zillion rules that NATRC
has.  The basic premise of judging your horse's condition at the end
of the ride vs beginning of the ride, but more laid back with the
rules like AERC.  I think that the SE part of the US has SEDRA.  Don't
know about out west.

Here's an excerpt from the website about competitive riding.

There are two distinct disciplines of distance riding.  The first is
called Competitive Trail Riding or CTR.  CTR is a timed event that
judges an individual horses finishing condition against the same
horses starting condition.  Points are deducted for any condition
considered to be worse at the end of the ride by the veterinary and
lay judges.  The points are considered for pulse rate, soundness,
quality of gait, and metabolic conditions.  The horse finishing the
ride with the highest score over all is considered the winner.
Competitive rides are great for entry-level riders. The rides are
usually only 25 miles to 40 miles in length a day and most offer a
novice ride of 10 to 20 miles.  These rides are ridden at an average
pace of 5 to 7 miles per hour, and all riders must complete the same
course within the same amount of time.� Rules for CTR�s vary by
geographic region so when competing in a CTR be sure you know the
rules for that rides governing body.� All rides sanctioned by OAATS,
Inc. are governed under the OAATS rules.� (for a copy of the rules
check out the CTR Rule Page)

What I like about these rides is you have an organized ride, can
literally go on your own, marked trails, vets and other sane people.
Being fairly new to horses (8 years), I don't know that many people
who are into trail riding.  The people I know are associated with 4 H
and showing.  I made the mistake of going on a trail ride with some
people in our area that I didn't know that well.  Didn't take long for
the beers to come out.  It was getting dark and they were still
heading farther away.  Calvin didn't want to go any farther.  He
wanted to go home and I agreed.  We left the others and went back
alone.  By the time we got home it was pitch dark.  The CTR rides have
more sane riders who are usually helpful and do anything to keep their
horses healthy.  The novice rides are under 20 miles and are usually
closer to 5 mph pace.  Calvin's walk was 4 mph so really didn't take a
lot of trotting or cantering.  We had to really slow down to not come
in under time.  Come in too soon or too late and you lose points.
Doesn't take a lot of conditioning to have a horse able to do a novice
ride.  You can do these forever.  You are not forced to move up.  I
don't look at this as competition but a safe way to do trail rides in
other areas that I'd never do on my own.


-- 
Anna
Southern Ohio

Reply via email to