On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 06:21:06 -0400, you wrote:

>And considering there are only about 300,000 Icelanders, even if you go to 
>Iceland, you 
>won't have many people to talk to there. 

I think part of the reason I learned Icelandic (apart from a desire to
communicate with people in Iceland and to read books about Icelandic
horses back in the days when they were not available in English at
all) is because I like various parts of Scandinavian culture, and I
find having a knowledge of Icelandic lets me "get by" in Danish,
Swedish, Norwegian and Faroese as well. Even Old Norse! ; )

I also wanted to be able to pronounce the horse names properly and
understand their meanings without having to resort to a dictionary or
a computer every time (which isn't at all important in the grand
scheme of things, but makes me happy).

Learning Welsh was/is more of a chore, but also quite satisfying. Here
people work very hard to keep the language alive in the face of great
opposition. It's hard when almost all the TV and radio services are in
English (or American), but we do have a dedicated Welsh-language TV
station, and several radio stations now. All public signs are
bi-lingual, and Welsh-speaking schools are becoming more and more
popular as parents want their children to grow up with both languages.

Mic


Mic (Michelle) Rushen

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Solva Icelandic Horses and DeMeulenkamp Sweet Itch Rugs: 
www.solva-icelandics.co.uk
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply via email to