>>>> You would need to go to a good pet store or fish store but I think you can 
>>>> buy Koi 
>>>> that can winter in a pond even in the harshest of climes - you would just 
>>>> need to 
>>>> check - but your local Wal-Mart variety wouldn't make it through the 
>>>> winter.


Oh I don't know about that!  We've tried Koi in our goldfish pond, and the 
longest any 
lived was just a few months.  Cary built this pond for us in 2000 and we still 
have some 
of the original plain-old-pet-store goldfish, and we get a few babies every 
year.  Since 
we can find regular old goldfish in basic gold, red, gold/white, red/white, we 
quit 
wasting the money on the more expensive Koi. I've had a few of the really 
pretty "calico" 
goldfish - the tri-colored black/white/gold ones.  Unfortunately, they don't 
show up so 
well in the pond shadows, so the less exotic gold, red or white/colored ones 
are now my 
favorites.  Seriously, though, we haven't bought a fish for the pond in at 
least five 
years.  It's really self-sustaining.  It's about six feet by 18 feet, with two 
pool 
sections and a couple of waterfalls.


>>> I think I would opt for stocking it with trout or somehting like that.


If Virginia is talking about a full-sized pond, I'd agree to use a typical pond 
fish - 
here, that would be bass or bream most likely.  That said, our neighbors 
released some 
goldfish in our big pond, and we still see them occasionally.  They've gotten 
VERY big.


Karen Thomas, NC 

Reply via email to