>>>> This is Tosca (actually 1/4 Peruvian Paso).  She is registered as black.  
>>>> Her sire 
>>>> was black and her dam bay.    At five, she is getting lots of very 
>>>> noticeable white 
>>>> hair in her hair coat, especially over her rump.   She really looks like 
>>>> she could be 
>>>> turning gray.   I am familiar with gray Arabians who appear to be another 
>>>> color at 
>>>> birth, but they usually have grey or mousey hairs around their eyes and 
>>>> muzzles. 
>>>> Tosca's muzzle is shiney black.


I have a few Icelandic's that have what I generically call "roan-like" patches. 
 Roan 
coloring is present from birth, so I know these aren't true roans.  These 
include Cali 
(who has LOTS of white hairs, including an odd "dropped star" and apparently 
has had them 
for a long time), Bjola (Cali's half-sister...per registration AND by outward 
appearances!) and unrelated 2-year-old Tifa and unrelated Loftur.  Tifa is the 
interesting 
one, since she's had a few white hairs in her "saddle area" and at two, she's 
never been 
ridden or had a saddle on her back.   I think Tifa's mom has a few, but since 
she's light 
sorrel with pangere, hers aren't so obvious.    Anyway, none of these are 
graying, none 
had a gray parent, and none of these are old enough to have age-related 
graying.  I think 
it's just "one of those things" that don't have a genetic explanation, at least 
that's 
been identified.  But, you know, I just plain enjoy these little unique quirks. 
 I don't 
think there's any real significance to them, but it's fun to discover what 
makes all of 
our horses special, even in superficial ways.


Now, with Tosca: please be sure to watch the "gray" to monitor how it changes.  
I'd hate 
for some innocent quirk to cause you to buy a new saddle at some point because 
of white 
marks.  I suspect that MOST white marks under the saddle area are really and 
truly due to 
saddle problems, and many times they correlate to a specific pressure point on 
a saddle, 
but I know I'll have to watch Tifa carefully to be sure I don't assume her 
natural 
coloring is a sign of a saddle problem!


Karen Thomas, NC

Reply via email to