I am so pleased with my ponies this week. Corrie has taught me so 
much.
I decided to try riding without reins or stirrups. I was exploring 
stopping and starting as well as steering using only my seat and 
body. I have a suspicion that stirrups really get in the way. Firstly 
I found that Corrie would halt with stopping riding and only the 
slightest Mary Wanless 'bear down' which felt like inflating a little 
balloon in my perineum. The quieter my aid to halt the more intense 
her focus. Steering in walk worked really well using the Sally 
swift 'stubby legs' and focusing on the direction with soft eyes. I 
was well pleased with that. Then to my surprised she asked me if I 
wanted to trot. I replied 'yes please' and off we went. I decided to 
try sitting trot expecting her to give up on me pretty soon. She 
didn't at all and we did two full circuits with stearing using no 
reins or stirrups. During that time I felt my seat was firmly in 
contact with the saddle and my body balanced. I was even able to 
influence speed and direction. What amazed me even more was that I 
could tell which hind leg was pushing off. I had managed this for the 
first time a year ago and lost it after the Mary Wanless clinic. I am 
so pleased because I think I am getting so much nearer to having an 
independant seat ALL the time. Most time it's a found it lost it 
scenario. I will be ready to go bareback after a few more sessions. I 
am so amazed at the rapport between us that I almost cried. 
I realise that no matter what my riding teacher told me, the horse is 
always right. There is no way she needs constant nudging with the 
legs to stay in gait or whipping. All I have to do is stop getting in 
her way. She likes me to keep my lower leg off her unless I give an 
aid not closely applied to her side at all times. She didn't stumble 
once. (maybe the new footing or the better riding)
I have been looking for a teacher and I had one under the saddle all 
along.
The bonus is that my sacroiliac pain has gone. Maybe it was the 
Feldencrais 'rock around the clock' exercises or the Tai Chi 
exercises. I think it was Corrie therapy. 
I really love that old mare. We have such a deep level of 
communication it can only be descibed as love. The same goes for 
Ofeig but a little different as she is only a 'child'.I can see a 
wonderful future ahead for all of us.
Sue Coombes

Reply via email to