>loose dogs< This is why I carry a long dressage whip with a flapper on the end. If the dogs do not respond to my verbal commands to "go home", I dismount & draw a very clear "boudary" line between me & dogs firmly repeating "go home". If that doesn't work, I do a quick "lightening strike" on the ground in front of me accompanied by a very firm "Go home". I have acclimated my guys to the defensive use of the whip at home first so as not to concern them.
One of my Iceys hates dogs (or any small animal for that matter) that comes into his space & will charge the offenders with me on him ... pinned ears & snaking head. He's even picked one up & thrown him (with me on board) when the dog didn't heed his warning. He's also the best drop kicker around. The local dogs know Lalli & give us a wide birth now. I've never had to get off & use the whip with him. Kaaren
