Lori,
If possible start riding Icelandics BEFORE you buy one so you can
experience the gaits and decide if you absolutely have to have the
tolt.  My mare usually chooses the tolt first and she can mix
everything in with it or give a lovely perfect gait; some days I can't
get a trot or a canter on the trail, but the gaits are there and will
come out when conditions are right.  This would be confounding if I
was trying to show her, but I am not, I am just trying to enjoy her
many moods of movement.  I have fallen in love with that tolt,
however, and if she gives it up I won't be so philosophical.  She is
barefoot, but we pack boots just in case because it is most unfair to
ask for good gaits over hurtful ground.
Nancy in Sonoma