Hi Mark!

On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 5:32 PM Mark Roseman <m...@markroseman.com> wrote:

> On Oct 16, 2018, at 1:46 AM, Tal Einat <talei...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Our current find dialog isn't much clearer than a search bar:
>
> For comparison, here's what the search bar in the current PR looks like on
> Windows:
>
> Thanks for posting the images.
>
> While I’m not a big fan of the existing dialogs, I think when you try to
> replace the dialogs entirely you end up having to shoe-horn every feature
> into a small space.

I'm not convinced; it seems that there's enough room if we use it well.

Here are, for example, the find and replace bars from PyCharm:

[image: image.png]
[image: image.png]

 They don't use anywhere near the full with of the window, and they include
a few buttons which I'm sure we don't need in IDLE.

It also increases the complexity for new users.

I think that the images in my previous email show that the level of
complexity is exactly the same for the find dialog.

I think what’s there now is about at the limit, particularly if you’re
> using a fairly narrow window.

Which seems fine to me, as I think we wouldn't want to *increase* the
complexity of this UI.

> One approach to this would be to not show some of the ‘extra/advanced’
> options right off the bat in the search bar, but have a small
> progressive-disclosure icon that allows you to show or hide them (either
> shrinking the width of the entry, or increasing the height of the search
> bar to add a second row). Some people might always keep those extra options
> visible, some might open them just to make changes and immediately close
> them, others might never open them at all. How those options were set and
> if the extra options were shown or not would be stored in preferences for
> next time. Something to consider, even if for later.
>
> Another option is having a simple search bar and a full find dialog (as
> per screen shot, from TextMate) with separate menu items/shortcuts to
> trigger. Separates out a minimal version that you can use without
> interrupting your workflow vs. a full one. Works for me, not sure it’s
> right for Idle, given that adds another item to the menu which increases
> complexity and also of course the obvious duplication.

These are good options, thanks for bringing them up! They initially strike
me as more complex than the existing straightforward UI, but I'll give it
some more thought.

- Tal