On 9/15/2021 2:25 PM, Terry Reedy wrote:
On 9/15/2021 12:31 PM, Terry Reedy wrote:

When I start 3.8.10 on Windows and select Open file, the dialog opens in the Python installation directory*.  I have no idea why your copy would do differently.  If you switch to that directory, that is your responsibility.

3.8 only gets security fixes, but if there were something wrong that remains in 3.9, we would try to fix it.

*There was a release, I remember not which, that did start in W/S32 because that was somehow Windows' default.  We quickly changed that for the reasons you specified.

Emailed response: "It's possible I inherited that from a registry setting in the bad version. I would never choose that directory. Anyway, I'll upgrade and verify it works properly."

--
Terry Jan Reedy