> On 27 Mar 2023, at 16:46, Scott Kitterman <ietf-d...@kitterman.com> wrote:
>

> On March 27, 2023 3:10:40 PM UTC, Laura Atkins <la...@wordtothewise.com>
> wrote:
>>

>>> On 26 Mar 2023, at 11:13, Murray S. Kucherawy <superu...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The charter identifies these possible outputs in some combination:
>>>
>>> (1) a clear problem statement;
>>>
>>> (2) one or more protocol update document(s);
>>>
>>> (3) a statement of some kind that the WG determined no feasible protocol
>>> solution exists (and, one would hope, how it reached this conclusion);
>>>
>>> (4) an update to current DKIM operational advice with respect to the stated
>>> problem.
>>>
>>> The only constraint in the charter is that (2) and (3) are mutually
>>> exclusive.
>>
>> Agreed with all of this.
>>
>>> I believe that a history of what techniques were previously tried and
>>> failed could arguably go into any of them.  The charter is neither
>>> prescriptive or proscriptive on this point.
>>

>> It seems to me a history of what did work / didn’t will go into document 4
>> or the reasoning for document 3. My current preference is for the discussion
>> to not be in the problem statement. My reasoning is that there will be
>> discussion about what didn’t work and why it didn’t work. I expect that
>> there will be quite a bit of back and forth to capture the details of why
>> something didn’t work - including the adaptations that the attackers made to
>> the changes. This, to my mind, is the job of the working group: to look at
>> the current status, discuss where the holes are and if they are protocol
>> holes or if they are best practice / implementation holes.
>>
>> On a more practical point, we have a month to finalize the problem
>> statement. No one has proposed language to include in the problem statement
>> about what has worked and what hasn’t worked. Given the current state of the
>> group, I simply don’t think we have the time to put this into the problem
>> statement and get it out in time.
>>
>> I do think we have the time and space to discuss techniques after the
>> problem statement is done and include it in one of the WG output documents.
>>
> So far, unless I was napping when it happened, we don't have a working group
> draft of the problem statement.

We have two documents that are up for debate as the working group draft. Anyone
else is welcome to provide an alternative for consideration as well - as Dave
did and that is now being wrapped into Wei’s draft.

> Personally, I'm waiting for draft-chuang-dkim-replay-problem-02 before
> investing any more time on the problem statement.  I think it would make
> sense for the group to do a quick assessment of it, when it is available and
> see if we want to adopt it as a working group draft (I strongly suspect we
> do).

That’s my feeling as well, particularly given no one else is stepping up to
write a draft of the problem statement on behalf of the working group. If
someone does have an alternative in progress please let me know.

> Once that's done, I think there will be a solid basis for progress towards
> the milestone.
>
> In the meantime, if someone wants to write up a section on what's been tried,
> I don't think it's on the critical path for the milestone until there's
> agreement to add it to the document.  It certainly doesn't delay anything now
> while we're waiting for the -02 of the problem statement.  If the text can be
> developed in parallel, it might not affect the schedule significantly.
> Myself, if we can, I think we should (I will volunteer to review and provide
> feedback on this but not to write it - I don't have the time).

That makes sense and I support doing the work in parallel.

Do we have volunteers to write up some of what’s been tried?

laura

--
The Delivery Experts

Laura Atkins