On 8/7/2023 3:58 PM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
I think a definition that describes a condition that's technically
distinguishable from normal DKIM operations is essential if we are going to
make any progress.

Except that the draft notes that isn't possible.

There's a fair amount of text in 1.1 that seeks to describe the nature of a Replay attack, and distinguish it from 'normal' behavior as best as we can.

A better, more objective and precise definition would be great. Please also provide one for spam.

If someone has actual substance to offer, to improve 1.1, please, please, please do offer it.

d/

ps.  Unless it isn't clear what existing draft text I'm referring to:

During development of the DKIM specification, DKIM Replay was identified as only of hypothetical concern. However, that attack has become commonplace, particularly for systems:

 *

    Attackers create, obtain access, or compromise an account at some
    Originator that signs messages with DKIM

  * Attackers locate a Receiver that consumes DKIM to make a delivery
    decision. If the Receiver uses a reputation system with DKIM for
    delivery decisions, the attacker finds an Originator with a high
    reputation.
  * They send an email from that account to an external account also
    under their control.
  * This single message is delivered to the attacker's mailbox, giving
    them an email with a valid DKIM signature, for a domain with high
    reputation.
  * They then post the message to a new and large set of additional
    recipients at the Receiver.

Internet Mail permits sending a message to addresses that are not listed in the content To:, Cc: or Bcc: header fields. Although DKIM covers portions of the message content, and can cover these header fields, it does not cover the envelope addresses, used by the email transport service, for determining handling behaviors. So this message can then be replayed to arbitrary thousands or millions of other recipients, none of whom were specified by the original author.That is, DKIM Replay takes a message with a valid DKIM signature, and distributes it widely to many additional recipients, without breaking the signature.

  * Further, a message used in a Replay Attack has the same attributes
    as some types of legitimate mail. That is, an individual, replayed
    message has no observable differences from a legitimate message.

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking