On Sun, May 17, 2026 at 7:36 AM Richard Clayton <[email protected]>
wrote:

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> In message <[email protected]
> il.com>, Wei Chuang <[email protected]> writes
>
> >    I also agree that there needs to be more clarify around null
> >    recipes and their scoping.  One thing that is said around
> >    "donotmodify" is that "A system that, by local policy, ignores this
> >    request MUST NOT allow the message to be forwarded on to any MTA
> >    outside its control."  There should be similar language for systems
> >    that use null policies.
>
> by null policies I think you mean p=none. I don't think the DKIM2 spec
> is the correct place for such a discussion.


Sorry I was being careless.  That is supposed to be "null recipes".


>
> >    I propose that the specification or BCP should say that MTAs that
> >    need to forward such null recipe, "donotmodify" or "donotexplode"
> >    messages onwards for whatever reasons, should delete all prior
> >    DKIM2 headers and re-sign the DKIM2 signature as themselves.  This
> >    probably means that the above language needs to be tweaked for
> >    this.
>
> That is not good advice for "donotexplode" !
>

So you'd be for the forensics approach.  My worry, perhaps unfounded if
everyone applies section 10.8, is that downstream receivers might
misinterpret the earlier signatures.  Perhaps add a note of caution in the
BCP as section 10.8 contains "SHOULD be rejected".  Even with stronger
language like "MUST be rejected", I suspect some forwarders will still send
results onward.  This might be a scenario receivers simply have to be aware
of, and forensics is the right approach.
-Wei
_______________________________________________
Ietf-dkim mailing list -- [email protected]
To unsubscribe send an email to [email protected]

Reply via email to