Thank you all for your accurate comments...

> 1. the Internet has may different lower layers;
>    not everything in the Internet uses a MAC address

I am aware not everything uses a MAC address, Yes, as K. Hamzed said, for
example, WAN links don't use them...

> 2. MAC addresses are not routable.  there's no way for me to find
>    out how to route a packet to your Ethernet even if I have your
>    MAC address

I may have not expressed correctly, what I meant is:

If the used 48-bit addresses in lower layer protocols, why they did not use
48-bit routing-enabled addressing for the Internetwork layer? Not just use
the very same addresses as I may have implied (I DO NOT mean that). After
all, they were using 48-bit addresses already.

Thanks.

Saludos.
Regards.
José Manuel Arronte García