>The web is the most valuable source of information to citizens and the
>world at this difficult hour. To darken it at this time would be
>disrespectful for those who died in defense of the freedom to know.
>
>Dave

  perhaps we are talking about different techniques.  a web site goes dark
by changing its background to black, maybe with solemn trim and some other
incidental graphics (like a ribbon twist if one is accepted as the icon).
they do not go offline, or stop performing their functions in any other
way.  it is a visual effect only to express sorrow over some issue.  how is
this disrespectful?  the same data is available, but with a style that
represents the mood.

  i thought that was understood as the design technique  there is a
difference between going dark and turning off.
                                    stan