Tony,

I wouldn't be so quick to characterize NAT as a "dead-end" technology.

Personally, I think NAT is just fine, but I'm a self-proclaimed cynic
and also consider myself somewhat of a pragmatist. In any event, it
works for me, but I could certainly be in the minority.

I think most of the hoopla surrounding NAT's revolve around engineering
purism. And I agree that statements that assert that NAT's provide some
sort of "security through obscurity" are complete red herrings.

Having said that, I ask you: What do you foresee as a realistic IPv6
transition plan? Dual stacks? I don't see it happening, to tell you
the truth. (Maybe this 6-in-4 stuff will actually help here.)

The truth is that NAT's allow organizations to deploy machines in
networks which otherwise would not have enough address space. To
say that NAT's are unequivocally evil is unfair, methinks.

- paul