For another data point ...

I had the identical problem with my bronze card (flash briefly).  I got one
of the silver cards and plugged it in, and it just worked with my existing
Bronze 4.0 driver and application.  I didn't need to update either the
silver card firmware or the driver SW.  This is on NT 4.0.

Cheers,
Andy

-------