--On Sunday, 07 May, 2000 11:17 -0400 Keith Moore
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> in my mind the people most responsible for the viruses are
> those who built systems that were so easily compromised.
>
> we don't need protocol support to track them down.

Keith,

This is a difficult issue and, IMO, a slippery slope.   I want
to agree with you, I really do, partially because I believe that
it is a really bad idea for organizations to ship software with
all security controls off by default, especially if there is no
really easy way to enable those controls, and that companies
that do so should take responsibility for the consequences.

However, in the more general case, if one takes the position
that, if I build a dangerous-but-useful tool and someone misuses
it, I should be held responsible, we are going to end up with
rules against a lot of very useful stuff including, in extreme
cases, many open source environments.

While this situation has not changed my feelings about the Raven
outcome any more than it has yours, this is probably not a good
situation about which to get simplistic.

    john